PHYS/ECE 464 Laser Physics I - Fall 2021
Instructor: Professor Mansoor Sheik-Bahae
Office: PAIS 2220
- Class meeting times: Mondays, Wednesdays 4:00pm- 5:15pm
- Lectures will be held in-person in PAIS 1140 with social distancing.
- Students will be notified in advance (before noon) in rare occasions when lectures are via Zoom.
- Follow UNM guidelines on vaccination (i.e. GET VACCINATED!) https://bringbackthepack.unm.edu/academics/instructor-guide/unm-policy-on-vaccination.html
Textbook:Laser Electronics By Joseph T. Verdeyen
- Optical Electronics in Modern Communications by Amnon Yariv
- Lasers by A. E. Siegman
- Laser Fundamentals by William Silfvast
Pre-requisites: E&M, Undergraduate Physics, Modern Physics, Knowledge of Differential Equations, Linear & Complex Algebra.
Teaching Assistant: Ali Kazemi
TAs Office Hours: TBD
Homework problem sets will be assigned on a regular basis throughout the semester, most likely one set per week.
There will be two exams: One Midterm and the Final Exam. Tentative Test Date (subject to change):
- Midterm: Wed. Oct. 27 (4-6pm)
- Final : TBD
Check the UNM's Office of Registrar for possible changes in the Final exam schedule.
The final grade is weighted as follows:
- Midterm: 25%-35%*
- Final: 60%-50%*
- Homework: 15%
*Final Grade will be evaluated using the best of Final+Midterm scores based on above variable weighting factors.
Laser Lab Tour:
E-mail me if interested
Some Lectures and other resources
- Brief History of Lasers
- Specific Lasers (pdf)
- Semiconductor Lasers (pdf)
- Mode-locking Tutorial
- LASERS: solution looking for a problem The Movie
- Introduction (historical overview) [1 lecture]
- Review of E&M theory (Chapter 1) [2 lectures]
- Ray Tracing (ABCD matrix method) (Chapter 2) [3 lectures]
- Gaussian Beams (Chapter 3) [4 lectures]
- Optical Cavities (Chapter 5 & 6) [2 lectures]
- Gain Medium (field-atom interaction) (Chapter 7) [5 lectures]
- Laser Oscillation (Chapter 8) [4 lectures]
- General Laser Characteristics (Chapter 9) [6 lectures]
- Various Laser Systems (Parts of Chapters 10 & 11) [3 lectures]
Homework and Reading Assignments
all chapter 1 (skip 1.8)
2.1-2.8, 2.11, 2.13
all chapter 3
4.7, all chapter 5
all chapter 6
all chapter 7
Chapters 10, 11