PHYS/ECE 464 Laser Physics I - Fall 2020
Final Exam, Friday Nov. 20th, 3-5pm , PAIS 1100
No class (Zoom) on Monday, 11/23
Next Zoom Lecture: Nov.30th
- Monday 10/12 lecture will be held face-to-face in PAIS 1100. Review
- Class meeting times: Mondays, Wednesdays 16:00- 17:15
- Lectures will be held either in-class (with social distancing- PAIS 1100) but mostly on Zoom.
- Students will be notified in advance (before noon) in rare occasions when face-2-face format will be used that day.
- Exams (Midterm and Final) will be held in-class (PAIS 1100).
- Enrolled students must register for Zoom Lectures (Click Here) - Passcode will be emailed to enrolled students
Textbook:Laser Electronics By Joseph T. Verdeyen
- Optical Electronics in Modern Communications by Amnon Yariv
- Lasers by A. E. Siegman
- Laser Fundamentals by William Silfvast
Pre-requisites: E&M, Undergraduate Physics, Modern Physics, Knowledge of Differential Equations, Linear & Complex Algebra.
TAs Office Hours:8-10 am Tuesdays (email in advance)
Homework problem sets will be assigned on a regular basis throughout the semester, most likely one set per week.
There will be two exams: One Midterm and the Final Exam. Tentative Test Date (subject to change):
- Midterm: Wednesday, Oct. 14 (4-6pm)
- Final (or Midterm-2): Monday, Nov. 23 (4-6pm)
Check the UNM's Office of Registrar for possible changes in the Final exam schedule.
The final grade is weighted as follows:
- Midterm: 25%-35%*
- Final: 60%-50%*
- Homework: 15%
*Final Grade will be evaluated using the best of Final+Midterm scores based on above variable weighting factors.
Laser Lab Tour: (Friday, Dec. 4- assuming allowed by then)
E-mail me if interested
LASERS: solution looking for a problem The Movie
Power Point Lectures
- Introduction (historical overview) [1 lecture]
- Review of E&M theory (Chapter 1) [2 lectures]
- Ray Tracing (ABCD matrix method) (Chapter 2) [3 lectures]
- Gaussian Beams (Chapter 3) [4 lectures]
- Optical Cavities (Chapter 5 & 6) [2 lectures]
- Gain Medium (field-atom interaction) (Chapter 7) [5 lectures]
- Laser Oscillation (Chapter 8) [4 lectures]
- General Laser Characteristics (Chapter 9) [6 lectures]
- Various Laser Systems (Parts of Chapters 10 & 11) [3 lectures]
Homework and Reading Assignments
all chapter 1 (skip 1.8)
2.1-2.8, 2.11, 2.13
all chapter 3
4.7, all chapter 5
all chapter 6
all chapter 7
Midterm I: Wed. Oct. 14, Correction: Covers Chapters 1-6
|Wed. Oct. 21|
|Wed. Oct. 28|
|Wed. Nov. 4|
|Wed. Nov. 11|
Chapters 10, 11
|Wed. Nov. 18|