PHYC 476L/477L/302L Experimental Techniques of Optics
- 302L: PHYC 302 or 330 or 262 or 160
- 476L/477L: PHYC 302 or PHYC/ECE 463 or 464
Please drop the course if you have not passed at least one of the pre-requisite courses.
Class meeting times (BE ON TIME):
- Section I: Mondays, 1:00 pm- 4:50 pm
- Section II: Tuesdays, 4:00 pm- 7:50 pm
Where to Meet:
If lectures are scheduled, we meet in P&A Room 190 (or 1131 depending on availability), then move to Room 112 (Optics Lab). If no lectures scheduled, students should directly go to the lab.
- Optics (Hecht)
- Optical Electronics in Modern Communications by Amnon Yariv
- Lasers by A. E. Siegman,
- Laser Fundamentals by William Silfvast
- Interaction with TAs and Instructors during the lab sessions
- Lab Notebooks (See Instructions)
- Lab Reports
- Random oral exam at the end of some experiments
Each student will be given a blank lab notebook (60 pages/double sided) on the first day of the course. She/he must record the details of each experiment following the guidelines described here.
Lab Report Template
Basic Optics Experiments (for 302L only)
Velocity Measurements by Optical Techniques
Ray Tracing and Lens Aberrations
Modelocking a CW Laser
Diode-Pumped Solid-State (DPSS) Laser
Nonlinear Optics (NEW: v 2.0) img1.gif
Mode-Locked Ti:Sapphire Laser (coming soon!!)
Tutorials and Guides:
- Oscilloscopes (M.P. Hasselbeck)
- Digital Oscilloscope Basics (Sparkfun Tutorial)
- Detectors (M. Sheik-Bahae)
All students enrolled are required to read the above OSHA manual carefully. You will be asked to sign an "Agreement of Understanding" form on the first session of this course.
Lab Notebook Instructions